Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thing 22: Downloading movies and other media

Due to restrictions on the computers at work, I had to work through this exercise at home so as to be able to download the applicable software to view movies. Having done so however, I came away with mixed feelings. The concept itself is great in that I won't have to run out to blockbuster in the dead of winter to find a good movie or tv show, but I am still a little reluctant to watch shows on my computer monitor as opposed to a television screen. I know that puts me firmly in the minority as the line between tv and online media is getting more and more blurred, especially with the ability to download movies on one's I-phone, or similar hand-held devices, or with companies like Apple working to integrate the pc into regular TV formats.

Beyond any doubt though, I think it is imperitave for any library staff to keep themselves current on the available options so as to be able to recommend (or upsell as they say in fast food circles) alternative means of getting the latest audio book or finding a classic film.

No comments: